Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's a Small World

I was reading a blog not too long ago that was entitled "Small World Syndrome". This blogger was relaying the fact that many times he runs into people who, after talking with for some time, reveal a past that in some way matches very closely to what he did or where he was in the past.

I am sure this has happened to all of us. Somewhere, sometime, maybe often you have thought and / or said "Yep, it's a small world".

My wife, Janet and I have had many such times and the one that still blows me away whenever I think of it, is this true story.

Firstly, a little background. My wife and I have now been married over 35 years. We both grew up in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia. We have raised 4 daughters and now have 4 grandchildren. Both Janet and my mother's names is Margaret and both of their mother's names were Margaret as well. Our oldest daughter has the second name of Margaret and our oldest grandchild has the second name of Margaret. What else could it be ?

Anyhow, a few years ago we learned something that somehow until then we had never known.

Janet and I were sitting around my mother's kitchen table having tea. On a sad note, this was the day after my mother-in-laws funeral.

My Mom said to me, " You know, I knew Margaret and Janet before you did ! "

Say Whaaaaaat ?

My mom went on to explain that when she was in hospital with the birth of one of my sisters, she shared a room with Margaret and her new daughter,  Janet !

No Way !

 Margaret had a stroke about 2 weeks before Janet was born, so Mom apparently was helping her look after Janet because of some arm paralysis from the stroke.

Wow ! What a small world.

Janet and I had been married over 30 years by this time and we had never heard of this before. I asked my Mom why she never spoke of this before and she said it just never came up.

So that's my best small world story. Do you have one too ?

You probably do, because it's a small world.


Today's Weather : Low - 2.2, High 11.9, another beautiful day in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment