Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love and Hate

Spent most of the evening at the hospital relating to father-in-laws health problems. We were out for dinner in Okanagan Falls, when we got a call that he was not feeling well and would be calling for an ambulance to take him to hospital in Penticton. He has had a repetitive problem that requires mostly pain management now.

Herein lies the reason for the blog title. You hate to hear that someone you know is having health problems but you love the fact that there is an excellent health system to help out.

In recent years, I have had to use these services as well.

Firstly, a cancer that required an operation to remove half my thyroid and a second operation a month later to remove the other half (better safe than sorry).

I hated hearing that I had cancer and it was a difficult few weeks waiting to find out how serious and and what they could do about it.

But I loved to hear that it was a very slow growing type that was very treatable and in all likelihood, I would recover quite nicely.

I just have to take those damned little pills everyday to keep me going like the Everready Bunny !

Secondly, I had a kind of a freak accident while riding my motocross bike and my leg ended up completely shattered for about 3 inches above my ankle. I hate it when that happens.

I had to lay in hospital with the leg broken for 10 days, waiting for the swelling to go down and for the docs to decide if they will try to repair it or take it off. I hate it when they talk about taking off a limb.

Finally, the 3rd surgeon to look it over decided he could fix me up. I love it when that happens.

He did fix me up, a real "MacGyver" repair job with lots of fabricating of brackets, rods and screws. I think the operation took about 4 hours and then a few days later I got to go home. I love it when that happens.

Now back at home and I'm like an infant, can't do much of anything by myself and every move is oh so painful. I hate that part.

About 6 months and 3 casts later, and I could hobble around on my own. Just about 2 years now and I can walk pretty good, finally getting some flexibility back in my ankle and not much pain any more. You know how this goes, say it with me.

I love it when that happens.

Today's Weather : Low - 3.6, High 6.1, mostly sun in the morning, clouding over later and slight drizzle around dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment